A legal settlement is usually reached when the parties are able to arrive at an agreement outside of court. There are several methods that can be used by an attorney to settle your truck accident case. These methods include arbitration, mediation, negotiation or a pretrial conference. An arbitration is where your case is heard by a panel of three experienced lawyers or judges. Mediation is where the parties choose a neutral judge or mediator to work out a settlement. Negotiation takes place between the lawyers on the telephone. A Pre-Trial conference is where the judge hearing your case assists the parties in discussing settlement.
Often, your case involving a trucking accident can be settled. And in the event that a settlement is reached in your case, it is important to have an understanding of the types of settlements usually available to individuals involved in truck accidents. There are generally two types of settlements:
- Lump-sum settlement – A lump sum settlement is one that is paid in full, all at once.
- Structured settlement – A structured settlement is paid in regular, recurring payments spread over a period of time.
An experienced truck accident attorney will understand your needs and be able to evaluate which settlement is right for you. Your attorney will also help you determine whether settling is the best option for your case. Below are some of the pros and cons of settling your truck accident claim:
- Settling your case is generally less expensive than going to trial.
- Settling your case allows you to take the risk of the unknown result and additional costs of a jury trial.
- Settling your case allows both parties to discuss difficult issues calmly and rationally.
- The injured party may end up settling their case for much less than they would have been awarded if successful in trial with a jury.
- Usually, the injured party gives up their right to pursue any other legal claim in connection with the trucking accident.
- There are a lot of unknowns, like who will sit on the jury that will decide your case and what they will award you for your losses.
Whiting Law Group takes a personal interest in every case that comes into our office. If you are looking for an attorney that will give you undivided individual attention, commitment to excellence, and use every possible resource available to help you win your case, then please contact Mr. Whiting directly for a free consultation toll-free at 1-877-936-7200 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. There is no fee unless we win your case.